Monday, February 13, 2012

VD anyone?

I can list countless cliche'd reasons why I hate Valentine's Day..

I can blame consumerism, and say it's just one day and we should spend everyday telling the one we love that we love them. I can say that it's a Hallmark holiday created to sell cheap chocolate wrapped in coloured foil.
I can say the snogging couples at every turn make me want to physically abuse something.



But I wont. Because I will be honest. I hate Valentine's Day because I am alone, and maybe just a little bitter at being jaded, by the romantic notion of love, by a countless number of disappointing relationships.

I want to believe. I do.. I want to expect the card in the post from the secret admirer, the anonymously sent flowers at the office so all your colleagues can see, or sharing a box of my favourite cacoa delicacy on the couch, wrapped around someone fabulous. But that little bubble popped for me years ago.. I am now cynical, and pessimistic even though I don't want to be. I will spend the day mocking those that do all the traditions, I will post anti-vd cartoons on my facebook, buy my own chocolate (and eat it all myself, probably whilst on my new exercise bike) and go to bed with my vibrator (because in celebration I did buy Him a new battery at least).

But then again maybe, just maybe, one day someone will change all that for me.
That's what hope does you see, it floats..

No comments:

Post a Comment